MAHULI - HIGHEST PEAK OF THANE

Mahuli from Asangaon

So after semester 2 exam, and a lot of medical emergencies in my family, Mahuli was officially the first trek of the season for me, and eventually the very first trek as an organizer. Being an organizer, I learnt many new things about commercial trekking, which I never thought I'll do in my life. Till now, I've been on treks with my friends, where we don't really give a shit about who's leading and who's behind. But this time, everything had to be planned.

Before going for the actual trek, I read some blogs by other people. And among 2/3 blogs I read about mahuli, all were negative. Each and every blog I read said that "I couldn't complete Mahuli because of some reason." I was really tensed because this time I had a responsibility of 25 people. But climate played its role perfectly.

Mahuli is the highest peak in Thane district. Asangaon is the nearest railway station to the fort. One can reach there by following modes of transport.
1) Private - It is approximately 52 km from Thane and 91 km from Mumbai. There is no parking facility at base village. But you can take your 2 wheeler vehicles till the gate of the sanctuary.

2) Local - After reaching Asangaon station, you can either go by Auto which costs Rs.300 per ride. (One way).

3) Public transport - Take a share auto to shahapur bus depot, and take the bus to Mahuli village.


So the plan was, we will board the 5.00 AM train from CSMT to Kasara, which reaches Asangaon by 7.01 AM. We were supposed to board the Train from thane at 5.55 Am, but all thanks to our central railways, I was literally stuck in the ticket line for 45 minutes and we missed the train. The day started really well this way! Due to Megablock, the train didn't stop at Nahur, and I had to drop one member who was supposed to come from Nahur. I was feeling really sad and frustrated at the same time. We took the next train to Asangaon and reached there by 7.30. Now we were a group of 28 people, which was supposed to be of 32!
We reached asangaon, and took auto's to the base village. Mahuli village is approximately 12km away from Asangaon station. We reached there by 8.15 AM. We had arranged morning breakfast for everyone. We sat in a 'Mahadeva Mandir' and had our breakfast. At around 8.30, we had a small introductory session and started the trek.

Fog fog everywhere
Mahuli is basically a bird sanctuary, if you're careful enough to spot birds, you'll see many species of birds which lay people don't know about! To enter the sanctuary, we have to pay a fee of Rs.20 to the forest department. We get a proper receipt for it. Don't forget to carry that receipt with you while you're in there, the forest department officials can come and check your receipt at any instant; and if you don't have one, you'll be charged.

Me and one of my regular trek mate were supposed to lead the trek, but eventually I had to go to the end as there were some people who needed help. So I carried their backpack all the way up. As I was tail-ender for the group, I had no time to sit and rest as I had to keep up with group; which gave me many cramps in my thighs. There were instances where I couldn't walk properly. And on the other hand I had to motivate other guys who were not ready to climb up.

As soon as we started the trek, rain started drizzling and the fog took over. Climate was beautiful. The rain didn't  stop even for a minute when we were walking.

To reach mahuli fort from base village, we have to climb 3 hills, which are kind of normal hiking. Once we reach the actual mahuli, there's a rock-patch which is not very dangerous but can cause serious injuries. To reach the top, it takes usually 2.30 hours. We were in time. We were taking many breaks during the journey as we had many first timers with us, and also those people who were physically not prepared for this.

After clearing the huge rock patch, there's a steep ladder you have to climb and that's all, you're at Mahuli peak. But let me tell you, even if you reach the highest point, the trek is not over yet. Mahuli usually takes 5-6 hours to explore completely. There is Bhandargad Peak, Kalyan Darwaja, Hanuman Darwaja, Caves to explore. Our trek was complete, I mean at least it was complete as it was planned. On the spot, we decided to go further and visit caves on Bhandargad peak to
Mahadev Mandir at Base village
go and have our lunch, as it was raining heavily. We started walking towards Bhandargad peak. After walking for some time, there's a diversion at Mahadev Mandir. This Mahadev mandir is basically a rock which is worshipped. There are just ruins left of it. So from Mahadev mandir, the road to left leads to Mahuli fortress, and the straight road leads to Bhandargad peak. We took the straight road and after walking for a while we stopped on a plateau, because going further was very much risky in such a heavy rain. Moreover, the fog was so dense that we could hardly see for 15 meters. We decided to call off the trail. Sadly, we didn't get any place to sit and have lunch. We had to sit there and open our lunch while the rain was pouring heavily. Our tiffin was half filled with food and half with rainwater.

While returning, everyone else visited Mahuli caves except for me, because I was much behind looking for the last participant of our group, and I didn't know we were going to visit the caves! I was looking for my group and I had to wait almost for an hour for them to come where I was. Everyone thought I was a fool who lost his way but let me tell you, I wasn't lost, you went there without letting me know!!

Road to Asangaon
The rain was still pouring and while descending, it's more difficult to take care of yourself. Because there are many chances that you may slip, and on the other hand, the raindrops splashing on your face
makes your vision blurred. We reached the base village by 4.30 PM and had our snacks there, and headed back to Asangaon station.

The trek was very successful and all credits to the climate, because humidity makes it really difficult to complete the trek. Our journey was completely filled with rain and fog everywhere. Clear vision was a myth for that particular day! Sadly, we couldn't take many photos due to rain.

To explore Mahuli completely, you need to stay there for 1 night. There are dormitories up there where you can stay, or carrying your own tent is always an option. From Bhandargad peak, you can see 3 neighboring pinnacles. Mahuli is a must visit for all trekking people. It really tests your ability and strength. My left leg was hurt and was paining for 3 days after the trek!



THIS IS IMPORTANT : 

Guys, me and my friends have been trekking from last 3 years. There was a time when trekking was not a trend and only nature lovers used to show up there to enjoy the company of nature. But now a days, due to excessive commercialization of this trekking and camping stuff, people find it "COOL" to go on trekking. Just remember guys, you go there for one or two days. Don't behave like it's your own property! I hate those people who put on loud music on their wireless speakers while trekking. I also hate those people who go to trekking and smoke, and drink alcohol. What do you think of yourself? There are other habitats of birds and many other species. People live there! You have no right of disturbing them with your unwanted loud music. If you're visiting nature, then enjoy its company purely. Don't pollute it and harm it in any possible way. It's a sincere request.

- From me and all my fellow Nature Lovers.


The group !!




Height above sea level - 2815 ft.
Recommended season - Rainy (July mid week)
Recommended mode of transport - Local
Nearest Railway station - Asangaon





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PEB FORT (VIKATGAD)

सांधण दरी (सांधण व्हॅली)

GHODBUNDER FORT